Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Fire damages Miller's Homestead restaurant

Business 'closed for an undetermined amount of time' after overnight blaze.


SUBMITTED PHOTO - Smoke billows from the roof of Miller's Homestead restaurant in Tualatin on Sunday night. The popular eatery's owners say they hope to reopen as soon as possible. Miller’s Homestead, a Lake Grove-area restaurant known for its rustic decor, all-day breakfast menu and homestyle cooking, was heavily damaged Sunday night in a fire that sent smoke billowing through the roof.

Crews from Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue and the Lake Oswego Fire Department responded to the restaurant at 17933 S.W. McEwan Road just before midnight after a passerby reported seeing the smoke coming from roof vents and eaves. Firefighters fought the fire from inside the building for about 15 minutes, until conditions quickly changed.

"We had to withdraw crews from the structure due to an extreme electrical hazard," TVF&R Battalion Chief Dan Griffin said.

That hazard forced firefighters to use an aerial truck to spray water from above the structure until Portland General Electric crews arrived on the scene to cut power to the restaurant, according to TVF&R. Once that happened, crews were able to resume fighting the fire from the inside, and the blaze was declared under control by 1 a.m.

No one was injured in the fire, which remains under investigation. The restaurant’s owners said in a Facebook post that the restaurant "will be closed for an undetermined amount of time" due to the fire, adding that their goal "is to re-open as soon as possible to serve our customers."

Miller's Homestead is located just inside Tualatin city limits, east of Interstate 5 and Bridgeport Village.

The restaurant first opened in 1985. It is the second longtime Tualatin business to suffer a major fire in the past weeks. Clark Lumber & True Value Hardware in downtown Tualatin burned to the ground on July 31 after more than 50 years in business.