Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Sheriffs deputy involved in crash during morning commute

by: Submitted Photo Early Feb. 16, a Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office deputy collided into the back of a passenger car after also hitting the center concrete barrier on the Abernethy Bridge. After impact, the passenger car and deputy’s car collided with a stopped Volkswagen Bug in the left southbound lane.

Commuters experienced a long delay along southbound I-205 on the Abernethy Bridge on Thursday morning due to a three-vehicle accident.

According to Oregon State Police, on Feb. 16 at approximately 7 a.m., deputy Travis Hill was driving southbound in a marked Dodge Charger patrol car in the left lane on I-205 on the Abernethy Bridge.

According to police, when a vehicle ahead of Hill's patrol car suddenly steered left to the inside shoulder to avoid stopped traffic, Hill was also unable to avoid the stopped traffic. He then steered to the left and rear-ended a 2009 Nissan Altima and hit the center concrete barrier.

After impact, the Nissan and deputy's car collided with a stopped Volkswagen Bug in the left southbound lane.

Hill, 34, was transported by ambulance to St. Vincent's Hospital with minor injuries. He is a five-year veteran with the sheriff's department. He was treated and released from the hospital.

The two occupants in the passenger car were Justin Morey, 35, and Michell Morey, 34, both of Oregon City. They were transported to Willamette Falls Hospital with minor injuries.

The two occupants in the Volkswagen were not injured.

Police said all drivers and passengers involved were using seat belts.

A second collision occurred behind the first crash involving two more vehicles. No one was injured in that crash and the investigation was handled by the West Linn Police Department.

Two of the southbound lanes were blocked until about 8:15 a.m.

Oregon State Police is continuing the investigation into the accident.

Clackamas County Sheriff's Office, the WLPD, Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue and ODOT assisted Oregon State Police at the scene.