County votes on old downtown courthouse, health department properties
The old Multnomah County courthouse and health department properties might have a new owner in the coming months.
The old Central Courthouse and McCoy Building properties were declared surplus by Multnomah County's Board of Commissioners last week.
The vote begins the process of disposing of both properties, owned by the county and located in the downtown central business district.
The buildings are currently being replaced with the new courthouse at Southwest First Avenue and Madison Street, and the new Health Department headquarters at Northwest Sixth Avenue and Hoyt Street.
Now that the surplus plan has been approved, the properties will be marketed by CBRE real estate firm for a 60-day period ending two weeks after the public comment period ends.
The old courthouse, 1021 S.W. Fourth Ave., was built between 1909 and 1914, a neo-classical, full-block structure with 39 rooms and eight floors. It's on the National Register of Historic Places and has a gross area of 292,717 square feet.
The Glady McCoy building, 426 S.W. Stark St., is a 10-floor structure on a quarter block, constructed in 1923 and houses the county's health department.
If either building is sold before the staff moves to the new buildings, the county plans to negotiate leases to continue operations until relocation can take place. The Health Headquarters is slated for completion in 2019, and the new Courthouse for 2020.
The county plans to hold an open house in early May to take public comments and explain the disposition process.
Public comment on the topic opened April 20, and will remain open for 60 days.
By Jules Rogers
Reporter, The Business Tribune
Follow Jules on Twitter
Visit the Business Tribune on Facebook and Instagram
Subscribe to our E-News