Investigation points to out-of-control wood-burning fireplace causing damage in Murrayhill Woods unit; Red Cross is assisting adult daughter and mother.

An adult daughter and her mother were awakened by alarms Wednesday morning (Jan. 3) as a fire in a wood-burning fireplace got out of hand in the living room of their Murrayhill Woods condominium in Beaverton.

Both were taken by Metro West Ambulance to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland. Their names were not released, but Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue reported that the adult daughter suffered burns on her feet while evacuating her mother.

A dog did not survive the fire, which was reported about 10 a.m., despite rescue and resuscitation efforts.

Work by TVFR crews confined damage largely to the unit in the 9500 block of Southwest 146th Terrace, although a unit above sustained minor smoke damage. A fire investigator determined that the fire was most likely accidental. The unit did not have a sprinkler system.

The American Red Cross is helping the daughter and mother, who had no homeowner insurance.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine