Southridge's boys see their season end in tough 1-0 defeat

PORTLAND — Everyone knew this one would be close, but perhaps no one expected it to be this tight.

In the end, however, it was the one team that scored that won. The 19th-ranked Southridge boys soccer team, playing at No. 14 David Douglas in the first round of the Class 6A state playoffs on Saturday, allowed just a first-half penalty kick to the Scots, but failed to score themselves and saw their season end DAVID BALL - ON THE BALL - Southridge's Gen Kimura makes a pass during his team's Saturday loss to David Douglas.

The loss ended Southridge's season at 8-5-1 after a third-place finish in the Metro League. David Douglas, meanwhile, advanced to the second round where the Scots dropped a x-x decision at Jesuit on Tuesday. The loss ended David Douglas' season at 6-4-4 after a second-place finish in the Mt. Hood Conference.

“We had a couple of chances, but overall, there was very little constructive soccer played and it was a very disappointing result for us,” said Southridge coach Mike Davis.

David Douglas had the first solid scoring chance on Saturday when Orlando Garcia raced past the last Southridge defender and positioned himself in front of a high-bouncing pass 10 yards out of goal. He swiped the ball out of mid-air with a big swing of his cleat and beat the Skyhawk keeper only to hear the shot ding off the side post.

Moments later, Daniel Gutierrez played a high ball toward the goal and Hernan Hermosillo went up for a header that forced Skyhawks’ keeper Mario DeSimone off his feet to make the stop.

The Scots broke through midway into the first half when Victor Sanchez played a ball ahead, and Garcia chased it into the 18-yard box only to have his legs taken out from behind. The foul resulted in a penalty kick, which teammate Carlos Bravo buried in the top right corner for the day’s only goal.

Southridge had its share of chances in the first half, though, first when Skyhawks’ forward Matt Kimball made a long run down the right side that ended with a close-range shot, which was blocked off the line by Douglas midfielder Levy Laureano in the 15th minute.

Kimball made another run late in the first half, this time feeding a pass through the box to teammate Jackson Wold, who let loose with a blast five yards from the post. Scots’ goalie Oscar Torres-Rodriguez read the play and was in position to make the stop, sliding down low to deflect the shot wide.

Southridge had one more chance before halftime when Wold found a hole in the Douglas defense 25 yards out dead-center on the goal. He settled the ball with two quick dribbles and let loose with a shot that missed a foot wide of the top corner.

The Skyhawks brought an extra forward up to start the second half and added another with about 15 minutes to play as they pressed for a tying goal.

David Douglas found the net again midway though the second half, but had it taken off the scoreboard when a foul was whistled. Southridge also had a goal taken away by an offsides call with about 10 minutes to play.

“It was a very tight, scrappy and untidy game on a very narrow field with neither team dominating,” Davis added.

To see a complete photo gallery from this game, please go to

Miles Vance also contributed to this report.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine