No injuries, no turnovers, just a few penalties and another league victory. Call it a success for the Lake Oswego football team last Friday.

After one of the most brutal preseason schedules in the state, follow-up games against Putnam and, most recently Milwaukie, have been virtually extended practice sessions for the Lakers.

Close to 80 players saw action for Lake Oswego in a 42-6 victory over Milwaukie that could have been more lopsided and the team remains tied atop the Three Rivers League standings.

'It's good to get out of here with a win, with no injuries while playing a pretty clean game,' coach Steve Coury said.

The Lakers showed their entire arsenal in the first half, showing little mercy on the Mustangs en route to building a 35-0 lead. Lake Oswego scored on its first three possessions, forced four turnovers and scored on the half's final play for good measure to close out a dominating 24 minutes of football.

After receiving the opening kick-off, Lake Oswego marched 73 yards in eight plays for its first score, culminating in an 18-yard strike from Duncan White to Kyle Lavender. Pat Barry kicked his first extra point of the evening. He would end up going a perfect six for six.

'There's still a lot of things to work on but this was a good tune-up,' White said.

After forcing Milwaukie into a three and out, the Lakers moved 59 yards in just three plays. Jon Dulong had a terrific 42-yard catch and broke a number of tackles to set up a Will Darkins' score from three yards out.

On their next possession, the Mustangs picked up a first down but failed to move any further as Darren Lind made a big tackle for a five-yard loss on third down.

Again, it didn't take the Lakers long to find the end zone. Four plays after the punt, Darkins scored again, this time on a 30-yard jaunt down the right sideline.

Milwaukie finally started to move the ball on its next possession, getting into Lake Oswego territory early in the second quarter before a fumble was recovered by Dulong and returned to the Mustangs' 45-yard line.

'Our guys played very well in the secondary tonight,' Coury said.

But Lake Oswego went four and out, giving the ball back to Milwaukie. Then, just two plays later, Mustang quarterback Andrew Lee dropped back too fast but found Dulong instead for an interception and the Lakers regained possession at midfield.

Lake Oswego rode the legs of Sam Buckingham to the goal line but could not convert on fourth and goal at the two.

But Milwaukie couldn't take advantage of its good fortune, fumbling the next snap in the end zone where Lind recovered it for a touchdown and a 28-0 lead.

Things only got worse for Milwaukie as, after a first down, Jaron Fagan recorded Lake Oswego's second interception of the game.

Milwaukie stopped the Lakers on three straight plays but Jared Van Hoon's punt pinned the Mustangs back at their own 10-yard line. They picked up a pair of first downs but Lake Oswego used its times out well and got the ball back at its own 37-yard line with under 30 seconds remaining.

A 19-yard reception by Dulong put Lake Oswego in striking distance with seven seconds to play and, on the half's final snap, White found Anthony Culver open in the end zone to up the lead to 35-0 at the break.

In their previous game against Putnam, the Lakers built up a similar lead but then proceeded to take the second half off, letting the Kingsmen outscore them, making the final margin of victory look closer than it actually was.

This time, Lake Oswego clamped down on defense and its second-string continued to outplay the Mustangs.

'It was really important this week to come out fired up in the second half and get those younger guys in the game because they deserve it,' White said.

Milwaukie turned the ball over on downs after one of its better drives of the evening, giving the Lakers their first possession of the second half, starting at their own 29-yard line.

Lake Oswego quickly moved into the red zone on runs by Buckingham and Fagan before Garrett Cook scored from 15-yards out for what would be his team's final touchdown.

Milwaukie responded by moving the ball consistently for the first time all night. Solid runs from Lee and Michael Collazo pushed Lake Oswego back before Sean Scott ran in for a 14-yard score. However, the snap was fumbled on the extra point attempt, leaving the score at 42-6.

Both teams were relatively content to run out the clock for the remainder of the fourth quarter as Milwaukie was handed its fourth straight loss to start the season.

'Everybody's pretty happy. We feel like we're going to be a pretty good team before everything's done,' Coury said.

Lake Oswego is now 3-2 this year (2-0 in league) and will meet Oregon City on Friday.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine