Also: Milwaukie, Putnam girls tie with controversy

MILWAUKIE - Milwaukie remained a title contender in Three Rivers League boys soccer, defeating West Linn 2-0 and battling to a 5-5 standoff with cross-town rival Putnam in matches last week.

The Mustangs were 4-0-1 heading into their final game of the league season, an Oct. 3 contest at Lakeridge (7-0-0, 5-0-0).

'Lakeridge will be a huge test for us,' Milwaukie coach Steve Williams said last Friday. 'They're on everybody's top five. I think we can play with them, but regardless of the outcome, you've got to be happy to be playing for the top of the league.'

Williams said of last week's 5-5 tie with Putnam: 'I've been doing this a long time and that was the craziest soccer game I've ever seen.'

Putnam came out like a house afire, scoring four straight goals in the first 16 minutes of play. Putnam led 4-1 at halftime.

'I can't repeat what was said, but let's say we had a talk and we made some adjustments at halftime,' said Williams.

Sean-Paul Salazar scored just two minutes into the second half to trim Putnam's lead to 4-2, but Drue Harris answered for Putnam to up the gap to 5-2 just three minutes later.

Salazar headed in another ball 17 minutes in; Michael Parker scored at 20 minutes and again at 30 minutes to salvage the 5-5 tie.

Parker had a hat trick on the night, as he also found the net for Milwaukie's only first-half tally.

Nathan Kizzar scored twice for Putnam; Chial Alba and Kevin Schwartz added single tallies.

Putnam coach Brian Sien commented, 'I think the kids learned a great lesson. In the second half, they were just trying to bleed out the time. They were just going through the motions.'

Milwaukie dominated the play in last week's 2-0 shutout of West Linn, but the Mustangs struggled to finish.

Mustang goals were scored by Victor Martinez in the final minute of the first half and by Parker on a free kick with just 10 minutes to play. Parker also assisted on Martinez' goal, centering the ball on a corner kick.

The win over the Lions was the fourth shutout of the season for Milwaukie keeper Scott Pham.

Controversy in the girls game

In girls soccer last week, Milwaukie and Putnam battled to a 1-1 tie, and the Mustangs came up short, losing 4-0 at West Linn.

The contest with Putnam had a controversial ending.

Milwaukie senior Tarra McCarthy pushed the ball ahead to sophomore speedster Kaley Edwards as time was running down. Edwards sprinted by Putnam defenders, made a cut and hammered the ball into the net just as time was running down.

The controversy followed, when no horn sounded ending the game. Putnam supporters argued that time was out when the tying goal was scored.

'The horn wasn't working,' said Milwaukie coach Jenn Seibel.

'I think time was out [when the goal was scored],' said Putnam coach Drew Coleman. 'There were only two officials and I don't think they knew, but they said the goal counted.

'Regardless, I think it was a fair result for the way the game was played.'

'Both teams played hard,' Seibel agreed. 'Both teams played with passion. Unfortunately they only sent two referees. The game was very physical and the officiating wasn't the best.'

Amber Ballou scored off a corner kick from Corrina Crocker 18 minutes into the first half for Putnam's only goal.

The Kingsmen also had a goal disallowed 15 minutes into the fray, when Melissa Eberhardt blasted the ball home on a penalty kick.

'One official blew a whistle to start play, but the other official said we had to re-kick because the keeper wasn't ready,' said Coleman.

Seibel singled out sophomore marking back Michelle Loghry and sophomore sweeper Emily Whitaker for standout play on defense.

The contest was between two teams that have struggled to put the ball in the net.

Through their first seven games, each team had scored only two goals.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine