Guard leader knighted

The head of the Oregon National Guard will be knighted today as a Royal Rosarian by this year's Rose Festival queen.

Maj. Gen. Alexander Burgin, adjutant general of the Oregon National Guard, will be honored at a 10 a.m. public ceremony at Washington Park.

Rose Queen Priscilla Isaacs of Franklin High School and six admirals from the U.S. Navy and U.S. Coast Guard will participate.

Robert Woody, the prime minister of Rosaria, selected Burgin this year to recognize the accomplishments of the Oregon National Guard.

According to the Oregon Military Department, more than 1,700 Guard members are serving around the world, including in Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. Their accomplishments include last summer's rescue of fallen climbers on Mount Hood, the 142nd Fighter Wing's record of flying 60,000 incident-free miles and observation missions in Sinai, Egypt.

Burgin, head of the Guard since 1999, will be knighted under the 'Alexander' rose. The Royal Rosarians are an organization devoted to public service.


Police busy with fatalities

A 34-year-old Portland physician was killed when he stepped into Interstate 5 traffic during rush hour Wednesday.

Police said Dr. Aaron Markovich, a resident at Oregon Health & Science University Hospital's urology clinic, apparently was working on his car on the highway when he stepped into the path of an oncoming truck. The accident closed all northbound lanes of the freeway along Southwest Barbur Boulevard for more than three hours.

Police also are investigating a body found floating in the Willamette River just north of the Marquam Bridge early Thursday. A police spokesman, Sgt. Brian Schmautz, said the body may have been in the river a long time and surfaced because of increased summer boat traffic.

The Multnomah County medical examiner is not expected to determine the identity of the body or cause of death for several days.

Assistant chief moving on

Assistant Chief Andrew Kirkland will leave the Portland Police Bureau this month to lead the smaller police department of Glendale, Ariz.

Kirkland, a 17-year veteran of the Portland police, was named deputy chief of the 319-officer Glendale department this week and will start June 25.

Portland Police Chief Mark Kroeker said the job comes with the expectation that Kirkland will be named chief when Glendale Police Chief Randy Henderlite retires.

'They made a pretty good case on why I'd be a good fit for their city and offered different opportunities, different challenges,' Kirkland said.

Henderlite said Kirkland, 41, was selected from 59 applicants nationwide, chosen for his leadership abilities, background and experience. Kirkland has worked in Portland's detective division, internal affairs, family services, and drugs and vice. He currently is Portland's assistant chief in charge of investigations.

Kroeker called Kirkland a great leader who will be sorely missed. He said he will take his time in naming Kirkland's replacement.

Kirkland, originally from Detroit, said he never thought he would become a police officer. He graduated from Portland State University with a liberal arts degree and was working at Standard Insurance, he said, until a police recruiter 'pestered' him to sign up.

'It's been a great run here,' he said. 'To get where I got, I still look at it like a miracle.'

Assault witnesses sought

Portland police are looking for witnesses of a late-night assault May 29 in the 1300 block of West Burnside Street.

Police said officers responded to a report of a fight at about 11:50 p.m. and found 47-year-old Joseph Michael Paulson of Canby lying unconscious on the sidewalk. Police said a crowd of people there quickly dispersed when officers arrived.

Paulson was taken to Oregon Health & Science University Hospital. He was in critical condition Thursday morning. Court records show he has no criminal convictions in Oregon but was charged with drug possession by Portland police May 9.

Police say the only suspect information they have is of a black man who may have been riding in or driving a white, four-door Ford Tempo with Oregon plates.

Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Brian Grose at 503-823-0757. The investigation is continuing.


Hospital incident checked

Multnomah County and state mental health officials are investigating an incident in which an acute-care patient at Woodland Park Hospital was allegedly injured.

The hospital, 10300 N.E. Hancock St., sees fewer than 10 Multnomah County acute-care patients per week, said Dr. Peter Davidson, head of the county's managed-care mental health program.

Details on the incident could not be released because of patient confidentiality, Davidson said. The investigation began Monday and is ongoing. In the meantime, he said the county has temporarily stopped admitting patients to the hospital.

Davidson said county officials participated in 170 investigations of various county facilities stemming from similar complaints last year. Temporarily suspending admissions to the facility involved is standard practice, he said.

'If there is a safety issue, they'll have to fix it, and they will, I'm sure,' Davidson said. 'I don't have any reason to think there's a serious problem at this time.'

Detox center reopens days

After being closed during the daytime for the past three months, the Hooper Detoxification Center's sobering station will resume its 24-hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week schedule this month.

Portland police used to bring about 30 drug- and alcohol-affected people a day to the center, operated by Central City Concern at 20 N.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. In March, the center cut its hours to accept patients only during its busiest hours, 9 p.m. to 3 a.m.

The cutbacks resulted from a loss of $600,000 in funding from Care Oregon, the health insurance company that contracted with Hooper under the Oregon Health Plan for detox services in the metropolitan area.

After the passage of Multnomah County tax Measure 26-48, the county is reinstating $570,000 to restore the service at Hooper, according to Rebecca Uherbelau, a spokeswoman for county Chairwoman Diane Linn's office.


Kariye case concludes

A highly publicized local terrorism case came to a quiet end when Sheik Mohamed Abdirahman Kariye was sentenced May 29 on Social Security and welfare fraud charges.

Under the terms of a plea bargain agreement, Oregon U.S. District Judge Owen Panner placed Kariye on five years' probation and ordered him to pay a $1,000 fine and reimburse the state $5,109.26 for illegally obtained Oregon Health Plan benefits.

Kariye was arrested in September at Portland International Airport by the FBI's Portland Joint Terrorism Task Force as he and his family were boarding a plane to the United Arab Emirates. Although several members of Kariye's mosque have been charged with terrorism-related charges in the Portland Seven case, Kariye has not been charged with any crime in that case.

Ñ Tribune staff

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine