Biglow, Hotchkins fight off injuries to help Tigard get quarterfinal win

HILLSBORO — In the Tigard High School football team’s state playoff second-round game with Canby, Tiger junior fullback/defensive end A.J. Hotchkins went down with a knee injury.

He didn’t play the rest of the game.

In the second quarter of the Tigers’ state playoff quarterfinal game with Central Catholic this past Friday night at Hillsboro Stadium, Tigard junior linebacker/tight end Jake Biglow rolled his right ankle — badly.

He couldn’t put much weight on it and had to be helped off the DAN BROOD - BIG NIGHT -- Tigard junior A.J. Hotchkins provided some strong blocking and key catches in the win over Central Catholic.

But, during the second half of Friday’s game, with the Tigers rallying to score a 43-37 win over the Rams to advance to the semifinal round of the state playoffs for the first time since the 2003 season, there they were — Hotchkins and Biglow, right in the middle of the action.

And, after the game, they were right in the middle of Tigard’s victory celebration.

“It could have been my last game of the season,” Biglow said. “There was no way I’m coming out.”

Biglow suffered his ankle injury late in the second quarter, with Tigard trailing 21-14 at the time.

“That’s not good,” a Tigard parent on the sideline said as Biglow was being helped off the field.

Biglow quickly got his ankle taped up by Tigard athletic trainer Travis Johannes. He didn’t play the rest of the first half, but he was back in action in the third quarter.

And then, he was out of action again, back on the sidelines getting even more tape on his injured ankle.

“I had so much tape on it, that it became like a cast,” Biglow said. “But I just felt like I had to play.”

Hotchkins, after his injury scare the week before, also was determined to do his part in Friday’s game.

“The doctor worked with me a lot, and I felt like I was fine,” Hotchkins said. “I wanted to be out there.”

And, it’s a good thing for the Tigers that he was.

On offense, in addition to providing some powerful blocking, Hotchkins also had four receptions for 33 yards, including a 9-yard touchdown catch, which tied the score at 7-7 with 4 minutes and 56 seconds left in the first quarter.

He had three tackles on defense, including one for a loss.

Tigard may have two other key injured players back in action this week, when it faces Lake Oswego in a Class 6A state playoff semifinal game set to start at noon at Jeld-Wen Field.

Senior running back/linebacker Benny Wick, who suffered a broken arm in Tigard’s regular-season finale, and senior running back/defensive back Kaz Greene, who suffered a dislocated elbow in the Tigers’ postseason opener, could both return to action in Saturday’s game.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine