Scammers play on the emotions of grandparents

Once again, scammers who pose as grandchildren claiming to be in trouble and needing money immediately are causing problems in Oregon.

The scenario was reported earlier this year by a Lake Oswego grandparent to Lake Oswego Police. Now, Oregon State Police report that a pair of recent incidents in eastern Oregon, as well as past incidents reported to the Oregon Department of Justice’s Consumer Protection Hotline, are causing concern that others may receive calls about the “emergency scam,” also known as the “grandparent scam.” The scam targets grandparents with fake stories about family members stranded in Canada or overseas in urgent need of money.

The emergency scam usually goes something like this:

“Hi grandma, it’s me, your favorite grandkid. I am up in Canada right now with my good friend, John. Please don’t tell mom and dad, but I had an accident (or was arrested) and need money to get out of jail. John and I are in a little trouble and need your help. We hit a car and needed to hire an attorney. Can you please wire me $4,700 (or some other amount) so I can pay my attorney and come home? Please don’t tell mom and dad! I promise to pay you back when I get home!”

An OSP detective investigating one of these cases found that the imposter will go through newspaper anniversary announcements and obituaries where they may find names of an entire family. Additional research using White Pages or Internet search engines for a phone number leads to the placement of these scam phone calls.

There are several red flags that indicate a scammer is at work. Be wary of a caller who:

n Requests that money be wired in a very short time frame;

n Claims to be stuck in a foreign country;

n Insists on secrecy; and/or

n Gets some personal details wrong.

Oregonians who think they have been a victim of the “grandparent scam” should call the Oregon Attorney General Consumer Hotline at 1-877-877-9392 ( or the Federal Trade Commission at 1-800-FTC-HELP (

“When in doubt, and before you send any money, contact the State Department’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747. The OCS can help verify whether the situation is legitimate or a scam.

Additional information about “grandparent scams” is available at:



Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine