1993: Timber Festival vice president in hot water over handling of grant


New water mains were installed on Third Street. Downtown business owners were relieved when the work was completed as they had been cut off from water for two or more days “to their great inconvenience.”

“...probably the man who felt most relieved when the water was again turned on was H.C. Gohring of the Estacada Meat Market, as he could not run his ice machine while it was off.”


County Commissioners had voted to sell Deep Creek Park to Holbrook Forest Products, a Portland logging firm.

Don Hainline’s property lay adjacent to the park and he was troubled to find trees on his land marked for sale by the county.

The county assured Hainline not to worry and that should trees on his property be cut, he’d be eligible for up to triple the damages.

However, the county made no move to survey the property or to guarantee that Hainline’s trees would not be cut.

Hainline did not want to lose the trees and was concerned that the close clear-cutting could ruin the stream.

The property had been owned by Hainline’s family since 1950 and the family had traditionally allowed hikers exploring Deep Creek Park to hike on the Hainline property.

“There’s been no hassle,” Hainline said. “Of course, they don’t know where the park stops and our land starts but for the county to turn around and now try to sell our trees after we’ve cooperated with them for so long it’s unbelievable.”


The Timber Festival and its vice president had been fined for acting as contractors without a license in 1993.

A few months later, in May 1993, the Oregon Attorney General’s Office launched a preliminary inquiry of the Timber Festival’s handling of grand funds.

The Festival had received a $9,000 grant from the county to build a new stage.

The Timber Festival paid the festival vice president to construct a new stage in the summer of 1992, but the stage collapsed in high winds in December of that year.

The festival vice president’s wife, who was the festival’s treasurer, had written him a check for the labor.

The Timber Festival president did not wish to comment on the matter as he had only learned of it recently through a newspaper article.


Volunteer firefighter/paramedic Karen Hovda was elected to the Position No. 2 of the Estacada Rural Fire District board by about 300 votes in Estacada’s only contested local race. Her goals as a new board member were to improve communication within the fire department, encourage community awareness and support programs that benefited the community.


The Estacada School Board unanimously voted to close River Mill Elementary one week after being presented with the idea.

A week prior, River Mill Principal Seth Johnson had presented the idea of consolidating River Mill and Clackamas River elementary to the board.

“I was against this all along unless it was our last resort,” said School Board Chairman Mark Greene. “Once I saw the parents groups were for it, that the administration did a thorough cost analysis with a variety of use options for River Mill, the teacher association and the classified unions were for it, then I said maybe I need to change my mind. It needed to be a data-driven decision, and if the data was for it, then that made it easy.”

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine