NEWS BRIEFS: Lightning sets Damascus home ablaze
A Damascus home off Southeast 252nd Avenue was set ablaze when lightning struck it early Friday morning, May 5.
The homeowner was awakened by a loud crash when the lightning hit. After investigating, she discovered her attic space was on fire. She called 911 and alerted a tenant on the property. The two were able to escape unharmed.
Firefighters from Clackamas, Sandy and Gresham responded to the fire, which they extinguished within 30 minutes. Investigators said the metal roof was struck by lightning at or near a roof vent, which ignited the fire.
Clackamas Fire Department wants to remind everyone that lightning, while beautiful to watch, is very dangerous and to remain indoors during thunderstorms.
Bill protecting foster siblings passes House, Senate
House Bill 2216-A, the Foster Youth Sibling Bill of Rights, passed through the Senate floor Tuesday, May 2, and is now headed to Gov. Kate Brown's desk to be signed into law.
The bill defines rights for foster siblings. It will guarantee the right for foster youths to be placed in homes where the parents have been trained on the importance of sibling relationships, require more privacy for sibling communication, be notified in a timely manner if a sibling experiences a catastrophic event and develop a contact plan if siblings are not placed in foster care together.
Rep. Carla Piluso, D-Gresham, was the chief sponsor of the bill who also carried it on the House floor. The ideas were brought to Piluso by foster youths who developed the concepts at the Oregon Foster Youth Connection's 2016 Annual Policy Conference.
"When youth are separated from their siblings, they lose an important connection that can help them survive and move forward in tough circumstances," Piluso said. "Keeping siblings together is good for children and families."
Fix broken items at Repair Cafe
Get your broken items fixed at the Gresham Repair Café from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, May 18, at Pathway Church, 3848 N.E. Division St.
The free event has skilled volunteers helping fellow community members fix things such as bikes, small appliances, electronics, computers and items that need mending or sewing. Televisions and microwaves are not accepted.
Those who attend are asked to bring anything that may be needed in the repair of their item, such as parts, patches, buttons, matching thread, power cords, batteries, connecting cables, remote controls and instruction manuals.
The city of Gresham and the Coalition of Gresham Neighborhood Associations sponsor Gresham Repair Cafes three times every year.
Take a swing for a good cause
Join the Gresham Breakfast Lions for a few rounds of golf for a good cause. The 32nd-annual Golf Tournament will be held Sunday, July 9, at the Gresham Golf Course, 2155 N.E. Division St, and will support the club and its charitable efforts.
Check in for the tournament will be at 11:30 a.m. The entry fee is $95, which includes 18 holes of golf, free range balls and a barbecue dinner. In addition to the highest scores, there will be awards for closest to the pin, longest drive, a putting contest and raffle prizes.
Contact Chuck DeLoach, 503-515-2432, for information about player registration.
Last year the club raised more than $12,000 during the tournament, which was directly used to fund projects such as scholarships for local high school students, supporting families in need during Christmas, providing flags for first graders and various efforts to help those with vision and hearing impairments.
The Gresham Breakfast Lions meet at 6:45 a.m. every Thursday at M & M Restaurant and Lounge, 137 N. Main Ave.