All five Hillsboro police officers who were placed on paid administrative leave in the wake of the Sept. 17 officer-involved shooting at Orenco Station have returned to work.

According to Hillsboro Police Department spokesman Lt. Mike Rouches, the officers went back to work on Tuesday and Wednesday after being cleared and meeting department policies.

No one was hurt in the incident, where Adam Havery Olsen, 33, allegedly pointed a handgun at officers. Two of the officers fired their handguns at Olsen but did not hit him. A third fired on Olsen with a shotgun loaded with beanbag rounds.

After his arrest, Olsen’s weapon was discovered to be a pellet gun.

The officers who fired their handguns at Olsen were David Bonn and Daniel Winter. The officer who fired the shotgun was identified as David Morse.

Officers Debra Crooks and Scott Butts were also at the scene and placed on leave, even though they did not discharge their weapons.

The incident began when Hillsboro officers responded to a report of a man armed with a pistol threatening to harm himself in an Orenco apartment.

When officers arrived, they heard the suspect, later identified as Olsen, threatening to shoot them. The officers took up positions near the man’s apartment and attempted to negotiate with him.

According to the police report, several minutes later Olsen emerged from a door into a breezeway behind the apartment and pointed what appeared to be a pistol at the officers. Bonn and Winter fired at Olsen.

Olsen retreated to his apartment, and approximately 30 minutes later, Olsen appeared in a front window. At that point, Morse discharged a beanbag shotgun at Olsen but did not injure him.

About three hours after the incident began, Olsen surrendered to officers.

He remains lodged in the Washington County Jail on charges of menacing, resisting arrest and interfering with a peace officer.

The case is still being investigated by the Washington County Major Crimes Team.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine