Brought to you by Jonathan Wisniewski - Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Tualatin (EVCOT) - EMERGENCY VETERINARY CLINIC INSIDER -

With the holidays now in full swing, most people are looking for presents for everyone in their family, including their pet.

One present that the staff at Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Tualatin (EVCOT) suggest you avoid are rawhide chews.

Jonathan Wisniewski - Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Tualatin (EVCOT)These are meant to be long-lasting chews that break down into tiny, soft pieces over time.

However, we see numerous pets that swallow large pieces without chewing sufficiently which lead to choking. And rawhide chews, bones, pigs ears and bully sticks can all cause the following problems:

1. Wounds or oral ulcerations if the chew gets stuck in the mouth

2. Breathing difficulty up to suffocation, if the chew is lodged in their airway

3. Stuck or blocking the esophagus (the tube that goes to the stomach from the mouth) - the most common problem we see.

4. In rare instances they cause intestinal obstruction.

In most cases, treating these problems all require anesthesia to remove the object. If the item is in the esophagus, endoscopy or surgery with a specialist is needed to visualize the object and remove it. Endoscopy and surgery are expensive and can run anywhere from $1,500 to $5,000 or more depending on complications.

It is always our recommendation to avoid these chew toys as they can cause a variety of problems. Plus any injuries, especially to the esophagus, can cause lifelong swallowing and digestive problems.

Our hope is that you are never in this situation, but should the worst occur, you can count on our caring and compassionate veterinary team at EVCOT to be ready to help your pet.

Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Tualatin

8250 SW Tonka St

Tualatin, OR 97052


Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine