FONT

MORE STORIES


Two-alarm blaze destroys home, garage and SUV on Sept. 4 on Charles Street near Niederberger Road

PHOTO COURTESY OF NDPD - Firefighters from several agencies fight the blaze Sept. 4 near the intersection of Neiderberger Road and Charles Street in Dundee.

A two-alarm fire that destroyed a Dundee home last week was ruled accidental by the investigators examining the remains of the home and attached garage.

Personnel from the Yamhill County Fire Investigation Team arrived on the scene shortly after the Sept. 4 blaze was extinguished. They subsequently ruled the cause to be accidental, most probably due to an electrical failure in the attic area over the garage.

Dundee Fire Department received a call at 3:30 a.m. Sept. 4 reporting a fire at the intersection of Neiderberger Road and Charles Street in Dundee. A second alarm was soon issued as the blaze had spread from the garage into the rest of the home, according to DFD Chief John Stock.

"There was a 'full box' on it," Stock said, "which means additional resources respond initially to it because it was a confirmed fire."

"On scene … the garage was fully involved and had extended into the attic space and into the living area of the home. So we did what we call a transitional attack due to the heavy fire … from the exterior and then the crews made an interior attack."

Crews took about 45 minutes to extinguish the fire, Stock said, adding that many of the firefighters were volunteers.

"We called up the volunteers and got them out of bed and they came and served their community and we were able to free them up so they could get on to work," he said.

The occupants of the home, who were unidentified, were out of the structure when the fire department arrived, Stock said, adding there were no injuries to people or pets.

"It sounds like they did have working smoke detectors … they save lives," Stock said.

The structure, however, was not so lucky. The garage, a Jeep parked in the driveway and the home was completely destroyed, investigators found.

"It is considered a complete loss," Deputy State Fire Marshal Shannon Miller said in an email.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine