Nielsen's Jewelers, A Five Generation Family Business
Nielsen's Jewelers, a family business that began before the making of the Model T, continues to serve its customers today with dependable old-fashioned ethics. In 1892 Hans Heide, a Danish immigrant, opened a modest jewelry business in Albina, specializing in watch and clock repair.
Watch-maker, Niels Nielsen left his home in Århus, Denmark and set sail for America in 1911. Two years
later, he was hired by Heide as a watchmaker. Niels lived in the apartment over the store earning twenty dollars a week. In 1921, Niels purchased the business from Hans Heide and changed the name to Nielsen's Jewelers.
January 1926 was a significant month for Niels Nielsen.
He moved his store to North Russell and Williams Avenue
and became the proud father of twins, Joan and John.
In 1957 John bought the business from his father, but Niels continued to work at the store until his retirement at age 83.
In 1961, Nielsen's Jewelers moved to the corner of twelfth
and Wielder in the Lloyd Center. In 1992 John Nielsen
sold his jewelry business to his daughter Jan, the fourth
generation to own and operate Nielsen's Jewelers.
Today, Nielsen's Jewelers is located in the Lloyd Tower
building. Through the generations, Nielsen's Jewelers
continues to offer superb quality, honest and fair prices, excellent customer service, and a caring family atmosphere. Jan works together with her daughter Sara adding the fifth generation to the family business.
With their passion and knowledge for fine jewelry and
watches they assure personal assistance with every purchase from Nielsen's Jewelers.
825 N.E. Multnomah Street
Portland, OR 97232