COURTESY: BRYAN HEIM/PORTLAND WINTERHAWKS - Rihards Bukarts (left) of the Portland Winterhawks keeps the puck away from Kamloops defenseman Ryan Rehill during Saturday night's game at Moda Center.The Portland Winterhawks will have another chance at beating the Kamloops Blazers.

The Winterhawks (20-18-2-0) gained a point in the standings, but fell 4-3 in overtime to the Kamloops Blazers (20-14-4-2) Saturday at Moda Center in front of 8,437 fans.

The Hawks and Blazers will take the ice again Sunday at 5 p.m. at Memorial Coliseum.

Blazers defenseman Ryan Rehill scored at 2:16 in Saturday's extra frame to give the visitors the win.

The Hawks and Blazers played 19 scoreless minutes in the first period, then each struck in the final 60 seconds of the frame. With Kamloops on a 5-on-3 power play, Matt Revel scored to make it 1-0 with 56 seconds remaining in the period.

Twenty seconds later with the Blazers still on a power play, Keegan Iverson and Skyler McKenzie broke into the Kamloops zone on a shorthanded 2-on-1. Iverson fed the puck over to McKenzie, who waited for the defenseman to commit, then went top shelf past netminder Dylan Ferguson to even the game at 1-1 heading into the second.

Kamloops regained a lead 6:32 into the second when Matthew Campese scored to make it 2-1.

The Hawks again tied it at 13:29 when McKenzie poked the puck ahead for a breakaway pass to Evan Weinger, whose high shot beat Ferguson to even the game at 2-2.

With less than a minute to go, the Blazers’ Quinn Benjafield scored to make it 3-2 heading into the third.

It remained a one-goal game until 43 seconds remained in the third. With Adin Hill on the bench for an extra attacker, Rihards Bukarts wired a shot from the left faceoff circle that got past Ferguson to force overtime.

In the extra frame, each team had scoring chances before Rehill’s goal.

McKenzie had a goal and assist in the loss, while Keegan Iverson added two helpers.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine