Suspect arrested after prolonged struggle

A police officer was assaulted and injured in Northeast Portland late Monday.

Officer Jakhary Jackson, a 22-month-veteran of the Police Police Bureau, required three staples in his head to close a cut. He was released from the hospital after treatment.

The suspect, Jack Carlston, 41, was charged with Assault in the Second Degree, Assaulting a Public Safety Officer and Resisting Arrest. He was booked into the Multnomah County Jail and bail is set at $257,500. Carlson was jailed after being treated at a hospital for minor injuries received when he was arrested.

According to the police, the incident began at 10:14 p.m. on Nov. 12 when Carlston jaywalked in front of Jackson, who was driving eastbound on Northeast Killingsworth Street just east of 72nd Avenue. Jackson slowed down and told Carlston to use a crosswalk so that he wouldn't get hit by a car.

Carlston began yelling profanities and charged at Jackson, who was still seated in his police car. Jackson pulled his car forward to create some distance from Carlston as he called for cover.

Jackson got out of his car and began talking with Carlston, telling him to calm down. Carlston charged at Officer Jackson, who deployed his Taser on Carlston to no effect.

Carlston hit Jackson with his shoulder, knocking him off balance. As Jackson was attempting to regain his balance, Carlston struck him in the back of the head with a large glass beer mug, knocking him to the ground.

Jackson continued to call for cover and struggled to get back to his feet. He was able to use pepper spray on Carlston, but it did not have any effect.

Jackson continued to struggle with Carlston for approximately 50 yards along the sidewalk towards the entry of the Fir Grove Mobile Home Park, located at 5541 Northeast 72nd Avenue. During the struggle, Jackson used his ASP baton, striking Carlston multiple times with no discernible effect.

A second officer arrived and use his Taser on Carlston, who went to the ground but continued to aggressively resist attempts to handcuff him. Additional officers arrived and Carlston was taken into custody through the combined effort of five police officers.

Jackson and Carlston were then transported to hospitals where they were treated for their injuries and released. Carlton was transferred to jail.

Jackson is the most recent officer to be injured making arrests in recent weeks. Police Chief Mike Reese has expressed concern about the spate of injuries.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine