Controversial renter protections back on Wednesday
The City Council is scheduled to consider expanding and making permanent a contested temporary renter protection policy on Wednesday.
The council ran out of time to vote on the issue after a lengthy hearing last Wednesday.
The temporary policy was first approved in February 2016. It requires landlords to pay relocation assistance ranging from $2,900 to $4,500 to tenants subject to no-cause evictions or who choose to move after their rent is raised more than 10 percent in a year. It expire in April.
The council originally exempted landlords with just one unit from the requirements. The proposed permanent policy would narrow that exemption to just a few circumstances. Many landlords oppose the change, which is supported by tenant advocates.
Mayor Ted Wheeler said the expansion is justified by the affordable housing crisis that is forcing many low-income renters from their homes at last week's hearing. They said that could reduce the overall amount of affordable housing in Portland.
Some single-unit landlords testified they would sell their rental units if required to pay the relocation fees. Wheeler agreed that could happen at what he said was the "margins" of the market.
You can read the proposed new policy at www.portlandoregon.gov/auditor/article/675369.