An attempt to box in a fleeing reckless driver on Foste Road found him feisty, and unwilling to stop

MCDC BOOKING PHOTO - Although released from jail mere hours after his alleged reckless driving spree in Southeast Portland, 33-year-old Andrew Douglas Lentz still faces multiple serious charges in court. After several Portland Police East Percent officers took notice of a red 1989 Jeep Comanche pickup, which was careening around Lents neighborhood streets early on Friday, July 21, one of them attempted to stop the reckless driver near S.E. 100th Avenue and Holgate Boulevard at 3:39 a.m. that morning.

But, even after an officer "lit up" the vehicle – turning on bright blue and green overhead lights, and activating a siren – the driver kept on going.

"During the pursuit, officers deployed several PIT ['Pursuit Intervention Technique'] maneuvers, in an attempt to stop the driver and vehicle," reported PPB Public Information Officer Sgt. Christopher Burley.

"Officers used spike strips and successfully flattened some of the vehicle's tires; but still, the subject was able to drive out of subsequent PIT maneuvers, until being boxed-in near S.E. 72nd Avenue and Foster Road. At that time, the subject rammed two police vehicles, injuring an officer," said Burley.

The suspect ultimately gave up, and was taken into custody – while medical personnel gave aid to the injured officer, who was transported to a hospital by ambulance for treatment of minor injuries, before being released.

The suspect, 33-year-old Andrew Douglas Lentz, was booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center at 8:20 a.m. that morning on charges of "Attempt to Elude by Vehicle", "Reckless Driving", four counts of "Criminal Mischief in the Second Degree", and "Fail to Perform the Duties of a Driver – Property".

After his arraignment later that same morning, Lentz was released from jail by the judge without the need to post bond. The judge's stated reason: Pretrial Release Services.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine