Tribe quadruples their goal total for 2013, race past Banks 3-1

by: JOHN WILLIAM HOWARD - Scappoose junior Asa Flanagan tumbles over a Banks defender on Tuesday afternoon. Flanagan didn't score, but assisted the first half goal that gave the Indians their first lead of the season.At first, it seemed like the Scappoose's boy's soccer team was headed the same direction they had gone during their winless preseason. Banks' Riley Philippi knocked in a goal off the far post in the 10th minute, putting Banks up 1-0, but the Indians responded. Despite the pouring rain, Scappoose fought back to score a pair of goals in the first half and a third in the second half to come from behind on Tuesday afternoon and post their first win of the season.

The win, according to head coach Scott Stanton, came as a relief after a grueling preseason. Scappoose (1-0-0) had scored only one goal in it's previous four matches before league play began against Banks (0-1-0), but that quickly turned around once the storm hit midway through the first half. The Indians had put pressure on Banks for several minutes, and in the 22nd minute the ball found the foot of sophomore Coltin Willard, who chipped a shot up and over Banks goalkeeper Kurtis Pipkin to even the score at a goal apiece.

Scappoose, though, wasn't done. Five minutes later, junior Asa Flanagan found teammate Colin Kilbourne making a run in the center of the 18 yard box. Kilborne went low and wide, just past the outstretched hands of Pipkin and just like that the Indians had their first lead of the young season.

In the second half, the rain subsided, but not the Indians. Carrying their momentum from the pair of goals in the first half, Scappoose kept up the intensity on defense and got the nail in Banks' coffin in the 49th minute.

The Indians pushed the ball forward, and suddenly junior midfielder Trevor Smith was wide open. Instead of forcing the ball to players closer to the goal, Smith opened up and struck a beautiful from distance, bending the ball into the far upper corner.

“I saw I had an opportunity, and decided to take it,” said Smith. “It's just that moment, you know. Heart stops and you just hope it goes in. It did.”

by: JOHN WILLIAM HOWARD - Junior goalkeeper Isaac Hamm intercepts a Banks pass in the second half of the Tribe's 3-1 victory on Tuesday afternoon.Scappoose continued their defensive pressure, keeping the Banks' attacking players on their toes and not allowing them any room for comfort. As a result, all of the shots in the second half for the Braves went either into the waiting hands of Isaac Hamm or far over the crossbar.

“One of the things we've been working on is pressure on defense,” said Stanton. “The main point of pressure is to slow them down and help us get numbers behind the ball and get numbers up on defense to keep them from going forward.”

The strategy worked. Not only was the game against Banks' their best offensive performance by far, but it was also their strongest game defensively. Even in the first half, Banks didn't have many chances aside from their one score, and when Hamm was needed, he was able to get his hands on the ball and stymie whatever the Braves threw at him.

After the final whistle, it was a cheery group of Scappoose players that stretched together on the sodden ground and gathered to devour a box of victory doughnuts after taking in Stanton's congradulations. The win was long in coming for the Indians, and the 'W' is worth more than any post-game snack.

“[It feels] amazing, cause we've been waiting for it a long time,” said Smith. “Long and hard. Finally got it, and we deserved it.”

by: JOHN WILLIAM HOWARD - Coltin Willard (3) watches his shot sail through the rain and into the back of the net. Willard's goal was the first of three unanswered scores from the Indians on Tuesday afternoon.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine