Saints edge Wilson in summer baseball
The St. Helens Saints won one of three baseball games from July 6-10.
The American Legion baseball team beat visiting Wilson 7-6 on Tuesday at St. Helens High School.
The Saints then lost to Hillsboro and Aloha on the road.
Over the next week, the Saints are scheduled to play seven games, five at home.
• In the win over Wilson, Justin Olson had three hits, including a double, and knocked in two runs.
Jackson Hald had a double and a single and knocked in three runs.
Hunter Vanderwerf had a single and one RBI, and Jared Hora had a hit and walked twice.
Jacobi Allen and Olson combined on the mound against Wilson. Allen also had an RBI, and reached base on a walk and when he was hit by a pitch.
• St. Helens lost a slugfest to Hillsboro 17-13 on July 6 at Liberty High.
The Saints had 12 hits.
Hald had a double, a single and four RBIs.
Vanderwerf had a double and a single and two RBIs.
Ryan Maher and Olson each had two hits and two RBIs.
Jared Hora had a base hit, walked twice and knocked in two runs.
Caleb Edwards hit a double, and Tyler Tolleshaug had a single.
Hunter Vanderwerf, Hora, Maher and Olson each took a turn on the mound against Hillsboro.
• In a 10-0 loss at Aloha on July 9, St. Helens was held to two hits — singles for Hald and Levi Vanderwerf.
• St. Helens plays host to Centennial at 6 p.m. Friday. The Dalles visits St. Helens for a doubleheader on Sunday, with the first game scheduled for 1 p.m.
Madison visits St. Helens for a 5 p.m. game on Tuesday, July 17, followed on Wednesday by a noon doubleheader at Hood River. Horizon Christian visits St. Helens on July 20 at 6 p.m.
• The Saints were scheduled to play host to Hillsboro on Thursday.