Students were evacuated for short period while firefighters inspected campus

POST PHOTO: BRITTANY ALLEN - Suspected gas leak at Sandy High School deemed a false alarm. A suspected gas leak at Sandy High School has been deemed a false alarm as of about 10:30 a.m. Monday, Feb. 12.

At 10:23 a.m., the Sandy Fire District responded to a call regarding what staff believed was a natural gas leak in the area of the school where the science labs are located.

Firefighters were quick to arrive on the scene at 37400 Bell St., and all students were evacuated briefly while they invesitgated.

Fire Chief Phil Schneider said school staff have since surmised that the odor, which caused the alarm might have originated from students playing with newly popular "fart-in-a can" devices.

"We've determined that there was no natural gas in the area," Schneider told The Post. "We've given the all-clear."

He added that last week Sandy High did in fact have a gas leak related to problems with a kitchen stove. The issue was resolved and is no longer a concern for the district or fire department.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine